Everything you need to know about Black Temple Timewalking
The first Timewalking raid, Black Temple, is now out with the Burning Crusade Timewalking event. The raid is available during the entire event and will require a premade group to complete, which means you won’t be able to do it in LFR but you can definitely do it in a PUG. Black Temple contains the same loot from the level 70 version but scaled up to 900 item level with the chance to Titanforge or Warforge.
Raid lockouts are per boss. The issue causing raid lockouts to go by instance ID rather than boss ID, which prevented players from joining other groups in progress, has been fixed. Players can join fresh groups even if they have already killed bosses (though ineligible for any loot) and join groups in progress for bosses that they have not yet defeated.
What you need to know
- When you can do it: During Burning Crusade Timewalking bonus event (July 11 – 18)
- How to get there: Vormu in Shattrath queues your raid group
- Difficulty: On the lower side of Normal mode Tomb of Sargeras
- Raid size: 10-30 in a premade group
- Loot item level rewards: 900+
- Recommended item level: 880+
- Bosses: High Warlord Naj’entus, Supremus, Shade of Akama, Teron Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, Reliquary of Souls, Mother Shahraz, the Illidari Council, Illidan Stormrage
Walking through the raid
To get started for Timewalking raids, find or make a raid group for the instance. You can find groups under the Premade Groups tab of the group finder in the Legacy Raids section. Black Temple Timewalking works like Normal and Heroic flex modes and you can take between 10 and 30 people. To enter the raid, the raid leader will go to Shattrath where Vormu is standing right next to the Timewalking vendor, Cupri. Vormu has a quest and a dialogue option to queue up for the raid. Make sure you get the quest from Vormu or have someone share it. It requires killing Illidan and will reward 500 Timewarped Badges.
The devs wanted the raid to be consistent with the original version but slightly more forgiving as it’s only around for a week at a time, so they tuned it similar to Normal mode in Tomb of Sargeras and kept most of the original mechanics. If you raided level 70 Black Temple back in the day, the Timewalking raid should be very similar to the original version.
But if you hadn’t or have forgotten, you’ll want to look at the encounters before you zone in:
- Black Temple Timewalking Encounters Guide from Wowhead
- A Pocket Guide to the Black Temple from Wowhead with maps
- If you just need a refresher, here’s minimalist guide from Vetaro
Once your group is in, you start in the sewers and head up toward the first boss where you’ll encounter High Warlord Naj’entus. After you defeat him, you make your way out and into the Illidari training courtyard. Supremus guards the actual entrance to the temple and you must kill him before entering the temple proper. When you make your way inside the temple, the Shade of Akama and Teron Gorefiend are waiting at opposite ends of the Sanctuary of Shadows. From then on you go to Gurtogg Bloodboil, who opens the way upstairs.
Toward the back is the Reliquary of Souls, where you fight the Essences of Suffering, Desire, and Anger. The door to the rest of the temple opens and now you start climbing the heights to the top. Mother Shahraz is waiting in another outdoor courtyard after going through the Den of Mortal Delights. After you defeat her, you head back inside to find the Illidari Council as the last line of defense before Illidan. Once they are dispatched, head up the stairs to find Illidan waiting for you at the summit. Are you prepared?
Of course, half the fun of doing raids is getting that phat loot. Black temple Timewalking contains the same loot as its original incarnation, which is great for transmog or item collectors. All the pets from the level 70 Black Temple also drop in the Timewalking raid, which are all part of the meta achievement for K’ute.
If the RNG gods favor you, you can pick up these goodies:
- Leviathan Egg from High Warlord Naj’entus
- Shard of Supremus from none other than Supremus
- Fragment of Anger, Fragment of Desire, and Fragment of Suffering from Reliquary of Souls
- Sultry Grimoire from Mother Shahraz
- Music Roll: The Burning Legion from Illidan
- New toys added to the Timewalking vendor: Verdant Throwing Sphere and Fractured Necrolyte Skull for 500 and 750 Timewarped Badges, respectively
There are many transmog items available from Black Temple, both the level 70 and Timewalking versions. The Timewalking raid contains all the items from the level 70 version as well as new items for Death Knights, Demon Hunters, and Monks.
- Warglaives of Azzinoth transmog appearance: if you have the Feat of Strength for collecting the Legendary glaives on any character, when you kill Illidan you’ll get an achievement that awards your Demon Hunter the Warglaives transmog.
- Black Temple Timewalking contains pieces from the original Tier 6 sets and you can get the chest, shoulders, and legs out of the raid (the helm and gloves are from Hyjal Summit). Check out the Tier 6 appearances: Druid, Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior.
- New pieces for Death Knights, Demon Hunters, and Monks in place of Tier 6 that did not exist for them yet.
- A white version of Priests’ tier 6 Absolution set
- That famous leather helm: Cursed Vision of Sargeras
- The iconic staff for Priests: Staff of Immaculate Recovery
- And a shield that’s almost larger than you: Bulwark of Azzinoth
Happy raiding, everyone!
Please consider supporting our Patreon!
Join the Discussion
Blizzard Watch is a safe space for all readers. By leaving comments on this site you agree to follow our commenting and community guidelines.