Looking for board moderators

Ravyncat1

Re: Looking for board moderators

Post by Ravyncat1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 pm

I am willing to help out.
I was an admin/moderator for an (now defunct) anime forum for several years so I have experience with that sort of thing. At one time it was a pretty big forum back in the 2004-2007 days.
As long as there is a clear policy of what is too much or not allowed in the threads, I'd be happy to do it again.

Yahnati

Post by Yahnati » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:03 am

Y'all need to get crackin' on finding some mods. It's a bad look to have brand new forums that are already getting hit by bots and nothing's done about it for days.

rjagoda

Post by rjagoda » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am

Confusing, because when they announced the launch they said this.

We're puttting the banned back together!

Balgair

Post by Balgair » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Is it a really long holiday in the US or something? A bit surprised nobody's been along and cleaned up the spam yet really; even if Monday was a holiday, Tuesdays aren't usually and it must be well into daytime over there by now. It's making this forum look pretty neglected so the sooner some additional mods get selected the better.

rjagoda

Post by rjagoda » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 am

It's business as usual here in the US. No holidays this week.

The forum looks neglected because, well, it is, at least so far. I think it's a slow spiral of not enough interest from users combined with lack of maintenance from mods, and the two feed each other.
We're puttting the banned back together!

elizabeth_harper

Post by elizabeth_harper » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm making sure this is at the top of Adam's to-do list. (Because I, unfortunately, cannot promote any of you fine folks.) As y'all can probably guess, we were a little swamped with the launch and this week we're running short staffed due to something I'm told is called Real Life. (It's a lie, right?)

I see community mods mostly to kill spam (like this stuff) and keep trolls from trolling, both of which prevents everyone else from having fun here. (And you can always grab one of us if you have questions or need someone to step in to help.) We wouldn't expect people to be here at set times or for a specific number of hours or anything like that, but ideally everyone would check in regularly (a few times a week, maybe) and clear out anything you see while you're here). Adam and I will work out something a bit clearer to help you out if you're interested, but he's just out of the hospital so it may be next week.

Balgair

Post by Balgair » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for responding, it's good to see we're not entirely forgotten! I wasn't going to volunteer, as I'm not that active and figured it's better for known community members to be mods (I don't want to be judge in arguments where it's subjective as to whether stuff should be removed), but if there's a shortage I'm happy to sign up to remove spammers at least; I've had experience of that on a few forums over the years, plus I'm in the UK so covering a less common timezone can help too :)

(Btw this was the first I knew about Adam being in hospital; I know the topic was covered in the Queue recently, but I do think major personal stuff like hospital time would be nice to be mentioned someplace on the site so those of us who don't use Twitter regularly know - been a few times I've seen some vague reference in a Queue post and then spent ages trawling through Twitter to figure out what's going on! I've read WI/BW so long I feel I "know" you guys even if I don't actually interact directly with you much, and so kinda care what happens to you all, even if that sounds a bit silly!)

elizabeth_harper

Post by elizabeth_harper » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 am

Breaking Blizzard Watch staff update! Actually, I think we tend to keep "personal" stuff off the site, though a lot of us are pretty open on Twitter. I suspect there might be about an equal number of folks who would appreciate it and who would tell us to stick to the news.

That said, Adam had some unexpected surgery on Monday. (Funny thing, I also found out about this via Twitter, so it's not just all of y'all!) . He's back home but on painkillers, so he's a bit MIA. Since Anne's out this week, Dan (who you may not know because he doesn't post much, but would be our first call for backup if we needed help) is on a family vacation, and I have to split around midday every day for radiation treatment so... some days it's only been Mitch running things for a few hours. Terrifying thought. (I'm not sure if it's all going to his head or if he's tired of it already.)

BUT I will sit down with Adam about forum moderation when he's lucid again. I admit I've been busy with stuff other than the forums and haven't been paying this place as much attention as I should, but I'll be checking in more regularly to keep an eye out for problems and I hope getting some more mods here will help keep things cleaned up over here.

JasonXplosion

Post by JasonXplosion » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:47 am

Don't you think it might be more fun to ask him things while he's delirious?

Jokes aside, best wishes to Adam. No rush guys, the forums will be here when he's back on his feet :)

Return to “Off Topic”