CreepyPanda's Kitchen - Italian style lasagne

CreepyPanda

CreepyPanda's Kitchen - Italian style lasagne

Post by CreepyPanda » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 am

So today I learned what you call lasagne in America is actuall an abomination and nothing like proper Italian lasagne, so here you go.

Lasagne

For the ragù alla Bolognese

- 500g (1.1 pound) ground veal
- 500g (1.1 pound) ground pork
- 2 jars of plain tomato pasta source (around 500g/1.1 pound each)
- 500g (1.1 pound) Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 250ml pinot noir or other light red wine
- 140g (0.3 pounds) tomato paste
- Beef stock concentrate
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large brown onions, finely diced
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Paprika
- Black pepper
- Salt
- Butter

Method

1. In a large pot, sweat off the onions and mushrooms in a healthy amount of butter with the oregano, basil, paprika, black pepper, and salt.
2. Once the onions and mushrooms are cooked, add the minced meat, stirring until fully cooked. After the meat is cooked, add the beef stock concentrate (I use a Continental beef stock pot) and garlic.
3. Add the red wine and allow time for the alcohol to cook off and the wine to reduce to around 1/3 of its original volume.
4. Add the tomato paste and pasta sauce and turn down the heat to a low simmer. With a lid on, allow the sauce to cook for at least an hour. If the sauce is too runny, reduce it over a medium heat until it reaches desired consistency.

For the lasagne

- Ragù alla Bolognese
- Bechamel
- Lasagne sheets
- Mozarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, shredded

Method

1. In a large baking tray (I use foil trays because it means less cleaning) add a layer of ragù - enough to cover the bottom of the tray.
2. Add a layer of lasagne sheets – whether you use flat or wavy lasagne sheets is up to you – ensuring there is minimal overlap between the sheets, and that they go all the way to the edges of the tray.
3. Add a layer of béchamel, and then a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you run out of ragù. The final layer should be béchamel. Top this layer with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
5. Spray a large piece of foil with cooking oil, and place the oiled side over the tray – this is to ensure the cheese does not stick to the foil.
6. Bake in a 200°C/410°F oven for 2 hours or until cooked.
7. Once out of the oven, allow the lasagne to cool for 30-60min – this way when you serve it, it won’t collapse. Reheat individual portions if needed.

elizabeth_harper

Re: CreepyPanda's Kitchen - Italian style lasagne

Post by elizabeth_harper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 am

I think mostly Americans are too lazy to make proper lasagne. (At least in my case that's it.)

JasonXplosion

Post by JasonXplosion » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

I made this Monday night. I paid about $60 CDN for all the stuff I didn't have. It took me about an hour and a half to finish the prep. I added more garlic, and I added about 3-5 minutes at the end to broil on max with the over door open to get a good browning of the cheese on top. Then, I had to stare at the dish for about 45 mins for it to cool appropriately. This was the hardest part by far.

This. Was. Amazing. Miles ahead of any store bought lasagna or anything I've gotten from a restaurant. Every single one of my 5 kids loved it, and they don't really like pasta to begin with.

Liz - do yourself a favor and make this dish!

elizabeth_harper

Post by elizabeth_harper » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Argh, but so much effort! So many steps!!

Return to “Off Topic”