How to install addons for WoW Classic
WoW Classic is just about to launch, and if you want to play without many roadblocks to your journey, you should download and install some addons. There’s a whole list of them that will help you do quests, level up, raid, and more.
Installing Classic addons manually
The easiest way to install addons is the manual route. This has you downloading .ZIP files, extracting them, and tossing them into your game’s install location. So download your addons of choice and get started.
- You need to find your WoW files. The game is on your C drive by default, and location should look something like this: C:Program FilesBlizzardWorld of Warcraft_classic_.
- Browse to the Interface folder and then the AddOns folder inside of that
- Drag your uncompressed addon to the addon folder.
When you load up the game — when it’s live of course — your addons will be there
Install addons with the Twitch client
But there’s an easier way to do this. The Twitch client that many already use to install addons (and keep them updated) in the live game can also work for Classic. Here’s how:
- Open your Twitch application
- Go to the Mods section, then click World of Warcraft
- From the top right drop down menu, select the folder for WoW Classic (note that if you want to go back to retail WoW addons, you’ll need to change the folder back)
Now, you can install addons directly from Twitch
But there’s a trick, because Twitch is packed with new addons that won’t work in Classic. Be sure to search for “classic” or “wow classic” because the app doesn’t differentiate the addons in its list. Once you find an addon, make sure to click into its description and double check that it’ll work for the old game. Hopefully, Twitch is working on a way to separate the two types of addons.
For now, the addons are a bit sparse because the game isn’t properly out yet. But we have a big list of our favorite addons as well as specific ones for leveling up. Be sure to install them while now while the client is available so you can be prepared for the launch in less than two weeks!
Please consider supporting our Patreon!
Join the Discussion
Blizzard Watch is a safe space for all readers. By leaving comments on this site you agree to follow our commenting and community guidelines.