Diablo 3 Season 27 starts on August 26, letting us sanctify our gear with angelic power
Diablo 3 Season 26 has an end date announced, so now we start asking the inevitable question: When can we expect the next season? The Diablo team has officially announced that Diablo 3 Season 27 starts Friday, August 26, 2022.
Season 26 lasted 18 weeks, which is just about average for a Diablo 3 Season, despite its extended PTR testing time, and Season 27 will be following hot on its heels, launching less than a week later. If you haven’t already completed the season’s journey for Season 26 to earn yourself a little lollipop-wielding demon, you now have just two weeks to wrap it up and get ready for new adventures.
Season 27 will bring Angelic Crucibles to the game, allowing players to harness the angelic powers to sanctify their gear. Sanctified gear has the perfect stats of an Ancient Legendary and preserves its legendary power while also adding a new Sanctified power, specific to the Season. And because players on the PTR complained about the rarity of Angelic Crucibles, the devs have doubled the drop rate, so there should be plenty of Sanctified gear to go around.
There are three Sanctified powers per class, and they’re sure to lead to some interesting power combinations:
- Whirlwind pulls in and holds all enemies within 25 yards.
- Hammer of the Ancients hits in all directions around the Barbarian. Every tenth cast of Hammer of the Ancients unleashes a powerful shockwave.
- Hitting enemies generates stacks of Tempest Rhythm. Activating Wrath of the Berserker consumes 50 stacks of Tempest Rhythm and startles enemies within 16 yards, causing them to take 2% increased damage per stack for 20 seconds. Max 50 stacks.
- Blessed Hammer now crackles with energy, damaging enemies within 15 yards of its path. All runes but Dominion now throw the hammer in a direct path in front of the Crusader.
- Every two seconds, call down Fist of the Heavens on a random nearby enemy. After casting Steed Charge, this effect occurs more rapidly for five seconds.
- After casting Falling Sword, you descend from the sky with two Archangels that can cast Consecration and Condemn.
- Strafe now casts the last non-channeled Hatred spending ability cast.
- Casting Vengeance unleashes a barrage of rockets that deal damage equal to a percentage of the maximum life enemies possess. The number of rockets fired increases over 30 seconds. Elites and Bosses receive less damage per rocket.
- Firing Cluster Arrow no longer drops explosive ordinance. Instead, it concentrates its explosive force into piercing rays of light.
- Casting Wave of Light now summons a bell at the target location that deals damage when any player attacks the bell. Up to five bells can be active at one time
- All Way of the Hundred Fists combo punches use the second stage combo punch. Consecutive hits from Way of the Hundred Fists increases its damage by 2%. Max 350 stacks.
- The target of your Seven-Sided Strike is barraged with spiritual punches for 15 seconds. This can only affect one enemy at a time.
- Your Golem now picks up corpses within 20 yards. Each corpse it stores allows you to cast any corpse spending ability with the max number of corpses consumed per cast. Up to 30 corpses can be stored.
- Enemies within 50 yards are constantly assaulted by the Army of the Dead – Unconventional Warfare while this item is equipped.
- Hitting enemies with Death Nova five consecutive times adds a spirit that afflicts an enemy every fifth cast of Death Nova. Up to three spirits can be sent at a time.
- Enemies affected by Locust Swarm are also Haunted. When you cast Piranhas, all Haunted enemies within 60 yards are pulled into the pool. A lesser enemy stunned by Bogadile is instantly killed. Elites and Bosses stunned by Bogadile take massive damage.
- Horrify becomes an aura that causes enemies to receive 100% more damage and deal 15% less damage in addition to its other effects.
- You summon two Gargantuans and three Zombie Dogs periodically. Gargantuans gain the effect of the Restless Giant rune. Zombie Dogs gain the effect of all runes. Enemies hit by Sacrifice are Immolated, causing them to take 100% more damage from your Pets.
- Your Storm Armor charges over 30 seconds. Casting Storm Armor at full charge releases a powerful thunderbolt, instantly killing a random enemy within 30 yards. Bosses and Elites are not killed but take significant damage.
- Arcane Orb now periodically spawns up to four orbiting charges that will generate an additional orb when cast. All charges from the Arcane Orbit rune now detonate at the same time.
- Magic Missile fires 10 missiles and gains the effect of the Seeker rune.
It’s a lot like Season 25, when we collected Soul Shards to imbue our weapons with the powers of the demon lords, but in that case there were only seven powers total to choose from, whereas now there are three options per class. That may give this Season more class flair. You can check out all the details on Season 27 in Blizzard’s preview for the coming Season.
Originally published May 5, 2022, updated August 15, 2022
Please consider supporting our Patreon!
Join the Discussion
Blizzard Watch is a safe space for all readers. By leaving comments on this site you agree to follow our commenting and community guidelines.