Blizzard Watch Weekly: The Diablo 4 edition
I know some of you aren’t very interested in the mass of Diablo news going around, and I have to apologize to you because lately Diablo 4 is nearly everything we’re doing at Blizzard Watch. We’re writing about it, we’re playing it, we’re having dreams about it. It’s the kind of game you obsess over.
But if you are interested in Diablo 4, I have good news because we’ve put together a whole bunch of guides that will help you get started.
Now let’s run down what’s going on in gaming — particularly Blizzard gaming — this week.
- Summer Game Fest has become a digital replacement for the now-defunct E3, and though the main event has come and gone (you can watch it on YouTube if you want to catch all the news), expect the gaming news to keep rolling in through the weekend. I’m personally looking forward to Wholesome Direct, a showcase of cozy games, which starts Saturday at 12pm eastern. But the biggest event is probably the Xbox Games Showcase and Starfield Direct, which start on Sunday at 1pm eastern. The event wraps up on Monday.
- The Greedy Emissary event has brought Treasure Goblins to World of Warcraft, and you can jump in to get lots of Diablo-themed loot, including the Baa’lial battle pet and the Tyrael’s Charger mount. Treasure Goblins spawn every half hour in either Orgrimmar, Storming, or Valdrakken, so if you’re looking for rewards get ready to camp out this weekend, because the event ends on Tuesday.
- WoW Classic’s Joyous Journeys buff will be available through June 19, so now’s the time to catch up on leveling so you’re ready to jump in for Phase 3, due out on June 20.
- A new month of Trading Post rewards is live in WoW, and as usual it won’t be too difficult to get in and grab this round of new cosmetics. We have tips on how to get this month’s rewards as well as a list of rewards available this month’s rewards.
- Grab your rewards while you can! You can get a range of Diablo 4 cosmetics via Twitch drops through July 2, with new drops each week — so be sure to check when you should watch to get the rewards you want. Amazon Prime Gaming is also continuing its series of WoW freebies with the Epic Purple Shirt available through June 29.
- The Revival Catalyst opens in WoW next week, so you’ll soon be able to convert all of your spare Season 2 gear into tier and collect those juicy set rewards.
Let’s talk about Diablo 4
We have a whole lot of guides, but these are the ones that are probably most helpful if you’re trying to get into the game, starting with class guides:
- Want to play Matt’s favorite class, the Barbarian? Check out our Barbarian guide, Arsenal System guide, and tips on how to survive as a Barbarian.
- Maybe you’d like to try Joe’s favorite class, the Druid — coming back for the first time since Diablo 2. Check out our Druid guide, Spirit Boon guide, and tips on how to survive as a Druid.
- I have to admit, the Rogue feels pretty squishy to me, but I know the class has its fans. If you want to pepper your enemies with arrows, check out our Rogue guide, Specialization guide, and tips on how to survive as a Rogue.
- The Sorcerer is apparently Diablo 4’s most popular class! If you want to get in on the trend, check out our Sorcerer guide, Enchantment guide, and tips on how to survive as a Sorcerer.
- Necromancer is the class of choice for people named Liz, which is to say that both myself and Liz Patt are currently playing Necromancers. Check out our Necromancer guide, Book of the Dead guide, and tips on how to survive as a Necromancer.
Need some more general advice about the game? Diablo 4 is different than any Diablo that’s come before, with lots of new systems:
- What do all of these stats mean? The core stats impact each class in different ways. We also have a specific guide on the new defensive stat Fortify — and we’re working on a few other guides to explain the game’s more confusing stats.
- Renown? In my Diablo?! Here’s how the game’s new reputation system works, and all the rewards you can earn with it.
- Be sure to pick the right World Tier — or difficulty level — when you get started.
- Is leveling getting you down? Here’s how to speed things up to zoom through the game.
- Want to tackle the game’s massive world bosses? Here’s how.
- Yes, Diablo 4 has mounts. No, you can’t get them immediately.
- Getting into the end game? Here’s how to get great gear from the Tree of Whispers.
Whew. That was a whole lot of Diablo. I’ll try to keep things more succinct next week. But until then, have a great weekend of gaming!
Please consider supporting our Patreon!
Join the Discussion
Blizzard Watch is a safe space for all readers. By leaving comments on this site you agree to follow our commenting and community guidelines.