Overwatch’s Story: Everything you need to know
While you don’t see much of Overwatch’s story in-game, this shooter has a veritable mountain of lore hidden away in all the profiles, character descriptions, news releases, cinematics, and everything else that’s been released thus far. We’re sure you’re asking how the heck am I supposed to keep track of all of this?
That’s why we’ve been piecing it all together for you, from the beginning of the Omnic Crisis to the return of Ana. With the reveal of Sombra looming on the horizon, why not take another look at all of the story so far?
Update: This post was originally published on May 20, but has been updated with the latest Overwatch comics and lore.
- Overwatch and the Omnic Crisis The formation of Overwatch and what the heck happened to make it all fall apart. This is the foundation of Overwatch’s story.
- Space Gorillas and Test Pilots Winston and Tracer’s origins and the weird possibility there might still be some kind of angry space gorilla infested moon colony up there.
- Robots With Soul What the heck is an Omnic? Why don’t they just call them robots? This covers what makes them different and why you should probably love Bastion even though, you know, he’s probably going to kill you a lot.
- Fallen Heroes What’s up with Soldier: 76 and Reaper? What went down when Overwatch was disbanded, and why is Reaper so … reaper-y?
- Junkrat and Roadhog Even though these guys are supposedly comic relief, they have a pretty sad backstory which says a lot about the state of the world after Overwatch fell apart
- The Shimada Clan Hanzo and Genji have a lot of beef with each other, probably because they tried to kill each other. Here’s why.
- Widowmaker and Talon Who is Talon? Why are they in every Overwatch animated short? What are they up to, anyway? And who is the elusive and deadly Widowmaker?
- Zarya and the second Omnic Crisis You think the first Omnic Crisis was bad? Prepare for part two.
- Symmetra and Lúcio What’s the issue between these two? Is Symmetra a bad guy? Maybe not, but the company she’s working for is pretty shady.
- McCree and the Deadlock Gang IT’S HIGH NOON and McCree’s a former outlaw who decided to be a good guy until he decided not to. Or maybe he still is.
- Overwatch’s Veteran Members: Reinhardt, Torbjörn, and Mercy Not everyone in Overwatch is (or even was) a member of the Overwatch organization. These three, however, are some of the organization’s best and brightest.
- The next generation of Overwatch Mei, D.Va, Pharah, and the future of the Overwatch team.
- Ana Amari and new Overwatch heroes Part of the original Overwatch team, Ana was widely considered one of the world’s best snipers… until she hesitated to take a shot.
- Overwatch and the mystery of Sombra though we don’t yet know who Sombra is, the game is scattered with hints about this mystery hero.
- Overwatch’s ongoing story So how does all this stuff hook together in the cinematics? Where is the story going from here? Why isn’t any of this actually in the game — and why is that potentially a good thing.
If these held your interest and you’re looking for more, perhaps you’ve missed some of the material below.
- Recall kicks it all off with a look at Winston’s origin. Reaper and the bad dudes at Talon assault a defunct Overwatch base — inspiring Winston to raise a new call to arms.
- Alive widens the animated universe of Overwatch as Widowmaker takes aim on the streets of King’s Row. Can Tracer stop her dastardly deeds?
- Are You With Us? Winston gets a bit awkward in front of the camera as he rallies the troops.
- Dragons. Brothers Hanzo and Genji throw down in their home town of Hanamura.
- Hero. Soldier: 76 takes on the Los Muertos in Dorado, raising the question of whether he’s on the side of the heros or not.
- The Last Bastion takes us to the Black Forest to show us just how Bastion came to be, well, Bastion.
- McCree in Train Hopper. McCree hops a train. Some other people hop a train, too. Pretty self-explanatory stuff, here.
- Reinhardt in Dragon Slayer. This old dog still has teeth. For biting dragons, I guess.
- Junkrat and Roadhog in Going Legit. If by “legit” you mean the opposite thing, then yes.
- Symmetra in A Better World through hard light and also explosions.
- Pharah in Mission Statement, where she shows just what kind of leader she can be.
- Torbjörn in Destroyer, diving into what he was doing during the Omnic Crisis. (Spoiler alert: It involved a giant mecha.)
- Ana Amari in Legacy, which fills us in on how this new hero fit in to team Overwatch.
- Ana Amari in Old Soldiers, where Ana reunites with some old friends.
- Junkrat in Junkenstein, a Halloween-themed Overwatch special holiday release.
Not enough to slake your thirst for more Overwatch? Peruse our Overwatch category for tips, tricks, and more.
Join the Discussion
Blizzard Watch is a safe space for all readers. By leaving comments on this site you agree to follow our commenting and community guidelines.